SEACAMP San Diego is not currently hiring for our Marine Science Instructor positions. We plan to hire again in the fall of 2024. Please see information regarding the position below.
We will provide extensive training including lifeguard certification and commercial driver license with a passenger endorsement training and certification. You will have the opportunity to work with incredible peers while guiding the next generation of marine biologists.
Job Duties include but are not limited to:
- All lab and field marine science instruction for students primarily grades 5 through 12
- All supervision of students (24-hour), including in-water supervision, and overnight supervision
- Transportation of participants in 15-passenger vans
- General facility cleaning and maintenance
- Basic computer and digital camera use
- Work as part of a team to provide a positive and educational experience to a wide variety of students
- Bachelor’s degree in Marine Biology, Biology, or a related field
- Strong understanding of basic marine biology principles
- Excellent water skills, including snorkeling
- Current American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification or ability to complete certification
- Ability to pass a swim test consisting of a 500m swim in under 10 minutes (Without formal swim training, this can be difficult. Before applying, please practice swim to ensure requirement is attainable.)
- Desire to work with grade school students
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- California Class C Commercial Driver’s License with a Passenger Endorsement or ability to acquire
- Clean driving record
- Ability to perform demanding work including supervising, teaching, and lifeguarding students in and out of the water
- Ability to pass Department of Justice and FBI background checks
- Teaching, snorkeling, and diving experience a plus
- Knowledge of local marine life a plus
- Per California regulation all camp staff must provide a copy of immunization records that include the date of the last tetanus shot.
- SEACAMP San Diego is a year-round hands-on outdoor education marine science camp for kids primarily 5th grade through 12th grade. We offer primarily residential, overnight programs with some day camp programs available. Spring and Fall semester Programs are available to groups and our Summer Camp Programs are available for individual enrollment.
- Program activities include snorkeling, boogie boarding, kayaking, stand-up-paddle boarding, floating classroom and all-day boat trips, visits to the Birch Aquarium, San Diego Zoo, SeaWorld San Diego and Living Coast Discovery Center. We offer a variety of labs and workshops including mackerel and squid dissections. Summer camp programs will also include live aboard boat trips to the South Channel Islands.
- Marine Science Instructors will gain experience in hands-on instruction and classroom management while sharing their passion for marine biology with students from across the country. Our style of team teaching allows Instructors to develop deep knowledge and varied teaching style.
- Develop leadership and decision making skills in addition to improving your problem solving skills.
- Build life-long friendships working closely with talented, supportive, and hard-working staff.
- Starting rate is $20.00 per hour, experience dependent
- Training rate will be $17 per hour until Lifeguard Certification and Commercial Driver’s License are complete.
- Medical insurance coverage at three months of employment
- Meals as provided to students
Applications can be submitted by:
- Completing online Employment Application Here. You will need your Cover Letter, Resume, and References
SEACAMP San Diego is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of age, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality or sex. Our goal is to hire a diverse staff of Marine Science Instructors to give our students a variety of instructors they are able to identify with.